Facebook Pinterest Bloglovin Instagram Teachers Pay Teachers Image Map

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Five for Friday!

I am beginning to realize that Fridays are the only times I post.  :(  I am sorry for neglecting my blog!  Linking up again with Doodle Bugs Teaching for the weekly Five for Friday Linky.  Here's how my week went!




1.  New bookshelf!  

The Title I room was getting rid of some tiered bookshelves, and I offered to take one off of their hands.  I am so excited!  It will showcase books that relate to our science or social studies topic, as well as class-made books and other specialty books.  Yay!


2.  Lice....

Head lice seems to be a major problem at our school.  Five third graders went home with it on Thursday.  Two of those students were mine.  Then again on Friday, four more students in other grades went home with it.  The poor nurse was checking so many classes on Friday, that she didn't eat lunch until 2:30.  The tough part about the families at my school is that they think that all they need to do is treat the scalp.  They need to understand that they need to treat the scalp AND other materials in the home, like pillows, blankets, clothing, and stuffed animals as well.

3.  And then there were 17.

This year, my class started out at 21 students.  Two of those students never showed up to school, and were dropped from my list.  A few weeks ago, a girl moved.  This week, I was notified that another student moved unexpectedly.  In case you lost count, that brought my class size down to 17.  SEVENTEEN!  I begged for smaller class sizes (last year I had 28!), and here I got it.  Now it's my time to prove to administration that, for our school of ELL's, smaller class sizes is going to be the key to seeing the growth they want.  I'm up for the challenge.  Bring it on!

4.  Ordering Numbers


We started a new data cycle, which brought new skills in math and reading.  In math, we have been working on comparing and ordering numbers.  I gave each student a card with a number on it, and they had to arrange themselves in order.  It was a really quick and easy activity to pull together, and it was so funny to hear the dialogue between them.  "No!  You go over there!"  And they would drag each other around to where their number belongs.  

5.  Monster Dash Half Marathon

I have two older brothers.  One has run several marathons, and the other has been training for his first half-marathon.  Today, they ran the Monster Dash half-marathon in St. Paul.  We caught up with Dean at mile 8, and then met both of them at the finish line.  It was so fun to see the funny costumes that the runners were wearing!  I heard that there were 17,000 runners for the event today!

Me, Dean, niece Marianne, Clark, Dad, niece Ramona, and sister-in-law Elise.

Dean (left) and Clark (right).  Dean ran his first half-marathon today.

Congratulations, Dean and Clark!



How was your week?

Until next time,
-Miss Woodward




1 comment:

  1. I completely understand about the blogging on Fridays. If you are like me - Fridays are really the only time you can relax enough to write a blog post - I've got so much going on every day/night!

    LOVE having bookshelves like that - facing outward - and especially when you can use it to change up the books that go with what you are working on. Makes the books more exciting for the kids I think.

    Yuk on the lice. I'd be freaking out about getting it myself!!! And I can imagine that the nurse probably didn't even want to eat after that :)

    Small class sizes are awesome. In our school they mean less money which means we don't get raises...but honestly the enjoyment I have in my daily life with having those smaller classes makes up for the sad few extra dollars anyway! Our kindergarten classes are 13 each. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! I get some awesome things done with them in a way I've never been able to before.

    I hope you have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...