Facebook Pinterest Bloglovin Instagram Teachers Pay Teachers Image Map

Friday, September 27, 2013

Five For Friday!

I can't believe it's Friday already!  I look forward to Fridays, just so I can update you by linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday!

This week, I had a lot of exciting things going on, so I am going to switch it up a little bit by doing my Five for Friday in a "Top 5" style.


Here we go... my Top 5 for the week!


5. NWEA Testing
Each fall and spring, our students take the NWEA test in Reading and Math.  Our school's authorizer wants to see 125% growth from the fall test to the spring test.  I  have lots of feelings about standardized testing (as I'm sure many of you do, too), so I won't get into that in this post.  But, for two days, my classroom was transformed into a mobile computer lab "perfect" for testing.  Poor kiddos.


4. Fall Weather
Fall in Minnesota can go two ways:  We can either have an extended summer with relatively hot weather through September/ October, or we can fast forward to winter by way of a giant snowstorm, completely missing the comfortable fall weather.
This year, early September was miserably HOT, but now it has cooled down into the perfect fall weather.  The mornings and evenings are cool, and the daytime is warm and sunny.  After testing yesterday, I took my students outside for a little extra recess.  The weather has been beautiful, and I'm loving it!

3. Buddy Reading- Coaching
This week during Buddy Reading, we discussed "Coaching" our buddy if they get to a word they do not know.

When a buddy gets to a word they do not know, students need to do three things:
- Silently count to three in their head.
- Ask their buddy, "Do you need time, or help?"
- If their buddy says "time", they just have to wait.  If they say "help", they need to help their buddy chose a strategy that will help them figure the word out.

We talked about how coaching is not TELLING your buddy the word.  It is HELPING them decode it.  We also talked about how if our buddy says "time", we wait, but it would be a good idea to think of a strategy, in case our buddy changes their mind and does want help.

It was SO fun to watch!  Success!

These buddies hard at work Coaching.  Highlight of the week (#3.5), it was picture day, and the girl on the right INSISTED she wear that hot pink headband with the lovely fake hair... At least she smiled big for her picture!

2. LOVING My Team
Yep... I said it.  I love my team!  Last night, we went out for dinner and had a great time chatting (and NOT about school, are you as surprised as I am?!).

Me, Ms. Eichhorn, and Ms. Tarah-  3rd Grade ROCKS!  :)

1. Mr. Wolf's Birthday!
Today is Mr. Wolf's birthday!  We are going out to dinner tonight to celebrate.  Love this guy!  :)




What did you do in your classroom this week?

Until next time,
-Miss Woodward

10 comments:

  1. That headband! I bet her family will LOVE those pictures and I am sure that many years from now she will too. :) Thanks for sharing your Five!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! Thanks for stopping by! Yes.... there were many interesting hair-do's and outfits that day... Love them anyway! :)
      If you like what you read, I hope you'll become a follower!

      Ellie
      Miss Woodward's Class

      Delete
  2. Looks like you work with an awesome team. I love my team I work with too!! It makes all the difference if you work with great people. Thanks for sharing.

    Jamie
    teachingtidbit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jamie! A good team does make all the difference! How many people are on your team?

      Ellie
      Miss Woodward's Class

      Delete
  3. I hope I get to work with a team as lovely as yours when I get my first qualified job next September! It would definitely make the first job a lot less scary!

    Oh dear, those test conditions look terrifying! Over here in my classroom we have one child go out with a teaching assistant or trusted member of staff and take the testing one at a time. Far less intimidating than those horrid looking blocks!

    Best wishes,
    Becky

    http://educatingprimary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rebecca! Wow, testing 1 at a time? That must take quite a while to complete! We have one computer lab that lower grades and middle school takes their tests in. We are stuck with the "mobile lab", which means we have to rearrange desks, have cords everywhere, and those lovely cardboard privacy dividers. What standardized tests is your school required to take?
      If you like what you read, I would love for you to become a follower!
      Ellie
      Miss Woodward's Class

      Delete
  4. Hi! I just found your blog and it is great! Your team looks wonderful- you are lucky! ENJOY!!! :) I love this fall weather here, too. I am in NY and it is getting beautiful! :) Stop over to my blog if you get a chance! I am so glad to "meet" you! :)
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn! Thanks for stopping by! If you like what you read, I would love for you to become a follower! :)
      It's nice to "meet" you too!
      Ellie
      Miss Woodward's Class

      Delete
  5. Your team is awesome! Hope you have a fabulous time celebrating your husband's birthday! Glad to have found your blog through the linky!

    Molly
    Lucky to Be in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Molly! Mr. Wolf is actually my boyfriend... not my husband! :) But yes, it was so nice to celebrate with him. I'm so glad you stopped by! If you like what you read, I would love for you to become a follower!
      Ellie
      Miss Woodward's Class

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...